Thursday, October 25, 2012

Class Reviews of A Business Major


As a Business major there are many classes that students are required to take and there are many that count as general classes. The general classes usually don’t have anything to do with a person’s major but instead are classes like Science, English, Algebra and History which all students are required to take. While they may be relevant if you are actually a science or history major, if you are a business or accounting major, chances are they are not a part of the core curriculum. As a senior with only a semester left of school, I have taken my fair share of classes, a lot of which I feel I will never use again but had to take in order to graduate. I have also taken my fair share of core classes which are specifically for me, such as Management courses.

There were some classes that I believe will benefit me greatly that I have taken. Some were core classes and some were beneficial just because of the teacher and the environment I was put into. Here I will talk about the three classes that I think were the most relevant and beneficial to my future career.

The first class was English 214. This class had absolutely nothing to do with my major and was in fact a requirement for graduation but the environment in this class was what I really enjoyed. In this class, everyone was separated into a groups and a major portion of class success was based on group work. We were taught to give constructive criticism as well as how to build portfolios of our writing. I feel that the group work we did was AMAZING! This class was the first class that I have ever taken where I learned how to interact with group members in a positive and beneficial way. In the business world, there are times when group work will be crucial to a person’s job. Knowing how to interact with people can mean the difference between a project succeeding or failing. Having the chance to sit with my group members every week and help each other to grow as writers was an essential part of our personal success.

It is very common to have group settings such as these, but what made this specific class so great was that our professor allowed us a sufficient amount of time to become aquainted with one another. She did not just force us into a group and create an awkward situation where everyone just stared at eachother. Instead, she had us chat with eachother and had us write about things that were interesting to us and that had to do with our personal lives. As a result, we were able to learn a great deal about eachother and discuss things that we could relate to. If my group was put into a situation where we had to create a project or meet a deadline,  we worked extremely well together and overcame any obstacle that we may have encountered. If you want to know more about why group work is so important here are a few sites to visit that discuss the importance of group work in general, Group Work In Companies, and the importance of group work in business, Group Work in Business.

The next class that I feel was extremely beneficial for my future success in business was my IBUS 330 class which was conducted online. For those who don't know, IBUS 330 is an international business class. What made this class so beneficial was that the teacher created strict guidelines for completing all of the work. Even though the class was online, the teacher expected students to hand in work on time. He also expected students to be keeping up with the classes and doing the readings on assigned days. Due to the fact that this was an online class, the teacher was actually able to monitor when students were logging on, when they were viewing the reading and for how long they were viewing it. He could also monitor who was watching his lectures and where and how many students were completing their quizzes in the same area. He did this as a measure to prevent students from cheating. The reason that all of this was a great experience was that it was like a real world business experience. In my future job, I expect that my boss will assign me many deadlines. Also, unlike with other online classes, I won't always have a week to complete something. I may only be given a few hours or a day to get my work done. By having the teacher give strict deadlines for each day of the week, I learned self-discipline and how to meet deadlines.

The final class that I am going to review is a class that I am currently enrolled in. It is Management 605. In the class I am learning all about how to be a successful manager and how to give presentations. One assignment that I felt was really beneficial was when my group and I had to create a 20-minute presentation based on a video that we had selected that had to do with a topic assigned to us from our textbook. We had a strict set of guidelines, and a certain timeframe to complete it in. We had to create a power point and dress professionally as part of the assignment as well. In this class we have had to do many group presentations like this. In the business world, I know that I will have to prepare and present many presentations. Having the experience that I have gained from this class will allow me to succeed in anything that my boss gives me. There is no room for mistakes when it comes to presenting something to a client that could be worth a multi-million dollar contract. One mistake could cost a company everything. Knowing how to do everything from making connections with a textbook to knowing how to dress that part is crucial for success. Roger Darlington, a man from a website that I visited, has listed many key things to be aware of while presenting. I used these steps to help prepare for my Management class. Here is the link -----> Roger.





 

4 comments:

  1. I don’t understand why I need to take some classes that are not major related either. What’s the connection between business and human biology? I just don’t get it.
    Anyway, I took that IBUS 330 online class last semester. It is one of my major core classes. I did learn a lot from the lecture but don’t like the way the professor manages the class. The way he monitors everything is micro-management to me. He does not need to look over every student’s shoulder every time when students are doing some activities. As that’s an international class, he needs to let go students to do things their won way guiding by some rules but not holding their hands to make sure they are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had the same feeling that some of the core classes at SFSU are not really realted to what we need to learn for our major. I understand why we need to broden our scope about business related fields but I don't understand why students need to spend so much time in classes where they know they won't use the things they learn in the future. I felt as students we need to broden our view but also at the same time gainning experience from the field we are learning about.

      Delete
  2. MGMT 605 was also one of my top classes that I have taken at SFSU. Aside from that 20 minute presentation we also had a 40 minute presentation. The difficult thing about this class is the instructor. He does not make anything easy and he questions everything by asking very elaborate questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone here have the same thoughts about classes in the business major. I don't know about you guys, but to my hospitality and tourism major, I think all classes I took or core classes, are related to my education and I found them useful. I especially like my internship class and you can read more about it in here. http://kellykuang21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete