Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Importance of Networking


Networking is a crucial part of business. It is a way to establish connections and maintain those connections. These days, it's all about who you know.

 

So...what is networking and why is it so important? Networking is a professional, social media gathering of friends and connections that could help further one's career. An essential part of networking invloves making a great first impression. During my previous employment, I was responsible for numerous positions, including: management and bookkeeping. The company brought in a trainer to work with me for a week to instruct me on how to be a successful bookkeeper. As it turned out, my trainer happened to be the Head of her department. My trainer frequently complimenting me on my skills and had even gone so far as to say that I was the best trainee that she ever instructed. I was flattered by the compliments and felt that if ever I chose to move up in the company, she could potentially become a very valuable resource.

 

A few years went by and I had decided that I wanted to major in business, which involved accounting and other bookkeeping aspects as well as management techniques. I joined a site called LinkedIn, and immediately began to build up my connections. I found my previous trainer and decided to add her as a connection. For those who don’t know what I mean by a connection on LinkedIn, I simply mean that I add people that I know who could help further my career.  I have added past trainers, business major classmates, college instructors and even the head of the business department at my university. Any of these people could essentially assist me in getting a job in the future and by knowing them I may end up receiving a position over another person, who may even be more qualified than myself. For instance, my past trainer could help me, if I ever chose to get a higher-ranking position with my previous employer. By connecting with her on LinkedIn, I have established a relationship and maintain a good rapport with her. If ever there is a position that opens up in the company, she may reflect upon our training sessions and reccommend me for the position. I could ultimately land a new, challenging, and better-paying position.

 

Networking can also be important when it comes to the everyday operations of a business. There are going to be many events which are mandatory for employees to attend. These events could also be attended by other companies. You are more likely to build relationships by meeting and talking with new and like-minded people. In doing so, there is a potential for partnering up with a separate company to achieve goals greater than both companies could have done separately. This is definitely one great benefit of networking!

 

Great sites for networking:

1)      LinkedIn                                                                                     

2)      Facebook

3)      Twitter


 

Tips for networking:

1)      Be professional

2)      Establish relationships and follow through (call connection after to show that you are interested in working with them)

 

 
Resources for more information about networking:


2)      Networking Tips
 

 

 


 

 

4 comments:

  1. I feel if we are able to have more interactions with real living people and not just on the web, the relationships would be better and people would get the know the person better.Do you think generation, we are being constantly on the web(facebook, twitter, myspace, etc.) too much and forgot how to really network through meeting with people and having real interactions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that this generation uses facebook, twitter, myspace, etc too much. In some cases, use of these sites can actually lead to a person not receiving a job. Companies are now looking at future employees social media sites before hiring them. I beleive that people need to think about the things that they post before posting them. However, for social networking I think that these sites can also be beneficial. I also think that sites like LinkedIn are a better use for social networking because it is used for professional purposes. The other sites, while they can be used, are not at professional. When I talk about using Facebook and the other sites I mean that possibly creating a page for a business or such can be a good idea. Otherwise, personal accounts for those sites should stay personal. Would you recommened someone for a job that you had only met online? I wouldnt so that face-to-face interation is definately needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Networking is becoming essential these days with so much competition. LinkedIn is a very useful site and the most appropriate for business encounters. I keep hearing that employers will check your facebook or twitter to try and find out what kind of person you are before hiring you. I have also heard of cases where they ask you for your password so they can take a look at your messages. With facebook and twitter you have to be careful what you post because it can potentially deteriorate any chances of you landing a job that you are seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Networking has becoming more and more essential in finding a job especially in this generation where jobs are difficult to get. I have heard many people said that if you want to get a job, you need to know those people and make them like you, so they will hire you. Could this also mean that we need to learn how to kiss some asses?

    ReplyDelete